the dangling partisan
my name is...I was a student of...{informant} 4.
I regret more than you can imagine
|
Thursday, August 14, 2003
that old guy that hit the Farmer's Market in LA. that power's there. think about it. a kid in Africa, 14 years old with an automatic rifle. it's scary. imagine actually being there how scary that would be. and how pumped up he is behind that power. just holding the gun. it's like thatwhen you drive. the potential death right at your fingertips. once you experience that power you're going to be very reluctant to give it up.
you're driving along and you turn on the radio and there's some country guy faking an accent that no one ever had naturally, so you click a station and some kid is screaming his rage on top of an avalanche of guitar noise, so you click it over and there's some guy sneering about some politician, so you click it again and there's the London Philharmonic doing some Beethoven so youturn it up a little and drive like that and then your cell phone rings. so you turn the radio way downand answer the call.
most of you were raised with these powers. oh you don't think that's a power? you just reduced the volume on the London Philharmonic. it doesn't matter that you understand intellectually that it wasn't them, your subjective experience is listening to them, really them, an entire orchestra, and whether or not they play, how loud it is, and in the case of CD's when they play, is entirely up to you. and when you drive through a crowded street that power is there, people acknowledge it when they're on foot, some spineless little dweeb with no physical presence gets behind the wheel and he's a soldier, a commander, a weapon.
so those two things are very powerful, the life and death and the command performance, and I think that's on purpose, not an accident. part of some deeper game.
in my personal life, because there's such a thick clot of surveillance I deal with it more than most people do. and I feel it. that smug royal vibe, the instant entertainment judgement that consumers make every time they hear anyone perform. that's the maturity you were offered, to grow into that power. and I get it all the time, whenever I play the guitar, when I write, these mindless assholes who feel the privilege of entertainment as their due. and make their judgements. they have no access in their real lives hardly, but because of the media, the buy and sell, they can hear and see and more importantly command the performances of, masters of their arts. a flick of the wrist and they're gone, a lifted finger and they return.
a twitch of the foot, a turn of the wheel and 15 people die. you live with that power every day, and most of you will never willingly give it up. most of you have no idea what you are and what you're doing, to yoursleves to each other and the world. none of you know why.
put here 11:27 AM
archives